They see me rollin'
Dice by PCalc, is a physics-based simulation of polyhedral dice for use in tabletop role-playing games with dungeons and/or dragons.
It runs on an iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Apple TV. A separate version is also available for the Mac.
Featuring near-photorealistic 3D graphics, it comes with a variety of gorgeous dice sets. Throw multiple dice with advantage or disadvantage, and any given modifier, and the app will automatically calculate the correct total.
You can save named presets to quickly roll the attack of your favorite sword, or figure out exactly how much damage your bard took from those seventeen giant rats. Flick dice to fire them across the screen when the numbers don't go your way.
Supports split screen and slide-over on the iPad, so you can put it alongside your other RPG apps, and speech synthesis that can read out the list of dice and the results.
The ideal app for every member of your party!
Click on any of the images to see a bigger version.
Download a press pack of full resolution screenshots here (240 MB).
Purchasing for iOS / iPadOS / watchOS / tvOS
You can buy Dice by PCalc on the App Store by clicking the button below:
It costs $1.99 in the US, price varies in other countries. It's a (mostly) universal app - one purchase will work on iPad, iPhone, Apple Watch, and Apple TV.
It requires iOS / iPadOS / tvOS 12 or later, and watchOS 5 or later.
While it technically runs on an iPhone 5S, it definitely prefers the graphical prowess of a iPhone 6S or later. On the iPad side, an A9 processor or later is recommended. A Series 3 or, ideally, Series 4/5 watch or later is similarly recomended.
Purchasing for macOS
Dice by PCalc for the Mac is available on the Mac App Store by clicking the button below:
It requires macOS 10.15 Catalina or later, and a 2015 Mac or later. It should work on earlier Macs in a future Catalina update.
Currently, Apple does not allow developers to sell one app that works across all devices, so this is a separate purchase of $1.99.
If you have any problems or questions, mail me at:
or contact me via Twitter at:
and I'll do my best to help.
- Fixed a problem with the app failing to launch when streaming media to an AirPlay 2 device.
- Added a throw strength slider to the advanced settings.
- Fixed a problem with all the dice being mysteriously invisible.
- Fixed a problem with the watch app complication only being a gray square on some watch faces.
- Added over five hundred new dice themes! Kinda. You can now apply tint colors to all the existing themes.
- Added six new real dice themes, "Ice", "Marble", "Mirror", "Nebula", "Facet", and "Vertex".
- Added an option to set the graphics mode to basic, advanced, or ultra, on any device.
- Added an option for 120Hz frame rates on iPad Pro devices that support it.
- Added an option to disable shake to reroll.
- Added an option to increase text contrast.
- You can now shake to reroll on the watch.
- Apple TV version now included!
- Added full support for iOS 13.
- Added support for automatically switching theme to match Dark Mode on iOS 13.
- Added support for directly entering dice rolls into Siri Shortcuts on iOS 13.
- Added an experimental option for dice to reflect each other on iOS 13.
- Added a "Type to Roll" button so you can quickly roll lots of dice just by typing.
- Added a button to switch between the two cameras.
- Added a new dice theme, "Graffiti".
- Added keyboard shortcuts for rolling dice sets.
- Added keyboard shortcuts for pan, zoom, and rotate.
- Added an option to use a huge dice tray.
- Added an option to switch off haptic feedback.
- Improved the haptic feedback on iOS 13, now takes into account the weight of the dice.
- Improved the dice rolling physics.
- Fixed a problem rolling D10s with Siri.
- Fixed a problem with the dark theme being too bright on iOS 13.
- Fixed a problem with the traditional D6 not resetting along with the factory settings.
- Fixed a problem rendering the D6 on older hardware.
- Fixed a problem with the tray being tiny at startup.
- Added an easter egg for Vailo.
- Added an Apple Watch dice app - never be without a D20 again!
- Added Fate/Fudge six-sided dice.
- Added an electrifying dice theme, "Storm", and a simple black on white one, "Pascal".
- Added an option to use a traditional D6 with pips rather than numbers.
- Added an option to reroll all the dice when you double-tap the background of the tray.
- Added an option to also hide the total when you hide the controls.
- Added a button to reset all the settings to the defaults.
- Now keep statistics for all dice rolls, and you can save the results to a file.
- Hold down the reroll button to switch on auto reroll.
- Improved the quality of graphics on older devices.
- Tray position is now remembered between sessions.
- No longer say "critical success / failure" when on a device not set to English.
- Fixed a number of problems with gestures not working correctly.
- Added over a dozen new dice themes.
- New dice display with optional subtotals per dice type.
- You can now directly interact with the dice on the tray - drag them around, or push at the edges for finer movements.
- Scroll down in the first pane of the settings to access the advanced settings. Level up!
- Added an option to the advanced settings to initially ignore some OS gestures, such as swiping up at the bottom of the screen. Swipe a second time to trigger them.
- Added options to turn off the gestures for zooming, panning, and rotating the tray with two fingers.
- Added options to turn off the gestures for flicking, nudging, and dragging the dice with one finger.
- Added an option to use moon gravity. DICE ON THE MOON!
- Added an "Ultra Graphics" option that will use up all your battery very quickly, along with some other graphics options.
- The "Clear" button no longer resets the camera position, but there is now a "Reset" button that helpfully appears and does.
- You can now rename presets by tapping on them in the list when in edit mode.
- Tapping the screen will now always show the controls if they are hidden.
- Buttons now fill the side of a horizontal iPhone 6/7/8 Plus.
- Fixed a problem that could cause the spoken total to differ from the displayed one.
- Fixed a hole in the ceiling through which dice could escape.
- Improved the "Lava" dice theme".
- Added a new dice theme, "Lava".
- Added optional sound effects for rolling dice.
- Added support for Siri - you can now set a voice shortcut for rolling a dice set.
- You can now import and export dice sets, and share them with other people.
- You can now tap and hold dice to lock them into position. When locked, a blue ring will appear around them, and they will stay put when you reroll. Tap and hold again to unlock.
- You can now pan around using two fingers when the dice camera is active.
- You can now rotate the dice tray using two fingers.
- Improved the dice physics - the dice roll better and have different weights.
- The D20 is now slightly bigger, as befits its important status.
- Press and hold the dice buttons to fire a constant stream of dice.
- Tap the question mark icon in the settings to get help for every option.
- Tap the version number in the settings to see the version history.
- Tap the compose icon in settings to send feedback via email.
- The easter egg no longer stops music or podcasts from playing.
- Fixed a problem with some dice sets ending up as blank lines.